Aston Villa have continued their astonishing spending spree with the addition of Douglas Luiz from Manchester City. The midfielder arrives for an undisclosed fee and the deal is subject to a work permit being granted.
Aston Villa’s Spending Continues With Douglas Luiz Signing
We are delighted to confirm the signing of Douglas Luiz from Manchester City, subject to a work permit. ✍
— Aston Villa (@AVFCOfficial) July 25, 2019
Career So Far
Luiz was named as the Player of the Tournament at the recent Toulon Tournament, playing in the Brazil U21 side that won the competition.
He came through the ranks at hometown side Vasco da Gama before being snapped up by City in 2017. However, he never made an appearance for the current Premier League champions.
Luiz spent the last two seasons on loan at Italian side Girona, where he made over 50 appearances across the two campaigns.
What They Said
Villa manager Dean Smith told the club website: “Douglas is an extremely talented young player with an outstanding pedigree who I am sure will fit nicely into our style and system of play.”
More to Come?
Douglas becomes Villa’s tenth signing of the summer but there are more signings to come.
Sky Sports have reported that the Villains have agreed a deal to sign Club Brugge midfielder Marvelous Nakamba, with the Zimbabwe international refusing to train with the club since a first bid from Villa was rejected last month.
The Telegraph’s John Percy reports that the fee for Nakamba is £11 million which, with the signing of Luiz too, takes the club’s spending well over the £100 million mark so far in this window.
The 25-year-old has been one of Villa’s top priorities this summer as they return to the Premier League for the first time since 2015, and a medical for Nakamba has been scheduled for today.